In previous posts (Deuteronomy Chapter 4: Warnings of the future, Destruction of Hazor), I tried to show WHY the Lord God had commanded Israel to cleanse the land of Canaan due to the evil that was there. The failure of them to do this resulted in their eventual falling away to the point where they were dispersed to Babylon.
God had given them explicit warning of what the peoples of Canaan had done that defiled the land, and thus no excuse was available to the Israelites when they did go whoring after the (g)ods of Canaan.
Here is a list of the profane things that ring out centuries later, which the Canaanites were doing that caused God to keep the people of Israel in Egypt for 400 years, until it became so bad that God was ready to bring His people into the land and cleanse it: (Genesis 15:13 – 16)
- They (Canaanites) would “uncover the nakedness” of both their near and far kinsmen (Leviticus 18:7 – 17)
- They would have relations with their women while they were on their “time of the month” (Lev 18:19)
- They would have carnal relations with their neighbors wife (Lev 18:20)
- They would sacrifice their children to their false god Molech, by burning them alive (Lev 18:21)
- They would profane the name of the one true God (Lev 18:21)
- They committed homosexual acts, which God said was abomination (Lev 18:22, Lev 20:13)
- They committed bestiality (Lev 18:23)
- They defiled the land (Lev 18:24)
God then tells the Israelites “Defile not yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are DEFILED which I cast out before you, and the land is defiled: therefore I do visit [bring judgement for] the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land itself vomiteth out her inhabitants” (Lev 18:24-25)
He then goes on to tell them 3 times in a row, not to commit any of these abominations, and that those who do shall be put to death (Lev 18:26 – 30).
Additionally, He calls out the following as being forbidden:
- Not eating anything with the blood, as the blood is “for it is the life of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life thereof:” (Lev 17:14, Lev 19:26)
- Do not dabble in sorcery or astrology (Lev 19:26)
- Do not make any cuttings in the flesh for the dead (Lev 19:27)
- Do not make tattoo’s on the skin (Lev 19:28)
- Observe the Sabbath and keep it holy (Lev 19:30)
- Do not have any thing to do with “spiritualism” or “spiritual advisers” (Lev 19:31)
After repeating his admonitions against these practices, He again tells them “And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation, which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things, and therefore I abhorred them” (Lev 20:23)
So, as you can see above, nothing much has changed. A nation that may, just may have been destined for greatness in God’s name (the U.S.) has, in fact, absorbed every abomination God warned against…and we know how the Canaanites ended up, right?